Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Turnabout is Fair Play

Yesterday I posted a joke about how French people speak English. Thankfully, my French friends all found this funny rather than insulting, and have not stormed the house with torches (yet). Since I got away with that, I will try offering up a really funny link about our German friends too!

Amidst all this language silliness, I should note that tomorrow I start official regular French lessons with our village friend Claudie, which I hope will be a help in my mangling of français. A little at a time...

For fairness and equal humor for all, here are some of my favorite jokes about Americans:
_________________________

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ballpoint pens would not work in 0 gravity. To combat this problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion developing a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to over 300 C.

The Russians used a pencil.

_________________________

Q: What do Americans call a TV set that goes five years without need of repair?

A: An import.

__________________________

Q: What do you call a person who speaks 3 languages?
A: Tri-Lingual.
Q: What do you call a person who speaks two languages?
A: Bi-Lingual.
Q: What do you call a person who speaks one language?
A: American!

1 comment:

TreverT said...

My mother has been recording stuff for us off of local NC TV's public-access channels, and we popped in our first disc today. Both of us promptly busted out laughing from the very first ten seconds, which featured a bunch of typical NC guys on a fishing boat... One long string of, "Ahtaleyuhwhut..Yayup..Sheeeit". You just don't realize how funny people "back home" talk until you've lived in another country for four years.

What I'm listening to now