Monday, March 06, 2006

A Little Snow, Not Much Else

In our four years here, we have been lucky to get one snowfall per winter, so you can imagine our surprise to find it snowing huge flakes a couple of days ago - in March, even - the second time this winter. I grabbed our new camera and shot a little Quicktime video clip of the snow on our border hedge, and another of snow falling across the road from us at the Salle d'Europe building. Outside of this odd and unexpected event, I have absolutely nothing to write about. We've been stuck in the workshop like ticks for the past few weeks, and when you never get to leave the house, there isn't much room for interesting things to happen that you can write stories about.

Which does spur me to comment that, at the best of times, I prefer for this blog to be about things - events, people, culture, ideas - instead of a stream of consciousness about myself. I've read a good number of blogs; good, bad, and occasionally very ugly, and have noticed what I consider a disturbing trend among them... Something that I'll dub "ego masturbation". It's a process that seems to set in as the writers drift more and more off the theme of their blog and begin to toss in more and more of their lives, likes, dislikes, etc. I've seen many a blog written to excess by some unknown twenty-something who's absolutely convinced that their opinions about music, movies, hot guys/girls, or whatever, are so utterly engrossing that surely it's worth writing fifteen thousand words about them (God forbid if they try their hand at a little poetry...).
So, if this place gets quiet for a long time, it's likely that I just don't have much to talk about.

On that idle ramble, I'll leave with a joke for the day.

Adam was walking alone through the garden and wishing he had a companion to talk with. God came to him and said, "Don't be lonely, Adam. I will make you a companion called woman. She will be beautiful, sensuous, intelligent, lusty, and kind. She will obey your every command without question. She will prepare all of your meals, clean the home for you, and iron your fig leaf once you realize you're naked. She will always be happy and never, ever have headaches."

Adam said, "This all sounds great! What's it going to cost me?"

God replied, "An arm and a leg."

Adam gulped, considered, and asked, "What can I get for just a rib?"
And the rest is history....

No comments:

What I'm listening to now