..... And I do mean to put quotes on "food", as some of what I will mention is pretty questionable (especially if one defines food as something needed for nutritional value). But first, a word on the popcorn quest. For three years now, Emily and I have depended on the kindness and forebearance of friends and family to send us the microwave popcorn that we couldn't find here. I can't imagine how tired they are of us begging for popcorn, and I'm certainly weary of bothering people, so we've recently launched a concerted effort to find our own sources of popcorn in Europe. Thanks to a very helpful friend in FumeursdePipe, we were pointed to the German website "United Lifestyles" - an online business catering to the strange and twisted tastes of British and American expats residing in mainland Europe. Suddenly, I can order beer online! (This was a really strange concept for an American - being able to visit any number of online wine & alcohol shops and purchase wines from all over France via the net... an unheard-of concept for the US, where alcohol sales are strictly controlled). UF has microwave popcorn, and our first order is on the way. Time will tell.
Unwilling to pin our long-term popcorn plans on one source, however, we valiantly pursued other avenues, and eventually found the two models of hot air popcorn poppers that were available in France. One visit to Boutique Plus and 25 euros later, we now have a real popcorn popper to try out (Seen in the photo above, along with all the other essentials of life for an expat abroad - caramel liqueor, giant bottles of Texas Pete, Pez, and a mead horn). We can get popcorn in kernel form here - just not the instant microwave bags that are so beloved of lazy Americans. Still, popping our own has its charm, and it is great fun to watch the thing firing hot popcorn randomly all over the kitchen. Makes movietime a lot more festive than just sticking something in the microwave, even if we'll miss all the amazing and sometimes-frightening flavors that our US friends have sent over to us. If our French and European friends are curious to see just how exotic the American snack food fixation can get, have a look at these links:
Orville's Pre-popped Chocolate Drizzler Popcorn
Orville's Cinnabon Cinnamon Butter Popcorn
Orville's Kettle Korn
Orville's Caramel Corn
Orville's Honey Butter Corn
Orville's Pour-Over Butter Popcorn
Orville's Pour-Over Cheddar Popcorn
Orville's Movie Theater Butter Popcorn
Orville's Ultimate Butter Popcorn
Orville's Corn-on-the-Cob Popcorn
Orville's Tender White Popcorn
And this is just a fraction of the variety produced by one brand! That doesn't even touch on the truly eccentric (to les francais) exotica such as microwave pork rinds, peanut butter cups, S'Mores, buffalo wings, not to mention our national fixation on really intense hot sauces.
Our French friends often ask us what are typical American "cultural" foods. I never know how to answer this question, because Americans don't really define ourselves culturally through cuisine - We tend to base our sense of cultural identity on accomplishments rather than regional dishes (This is probably a good thing), and most of the foods that I think of as uniquely American (hamburgers, chilidogs, corndogs, hot wings, etc) aren't the sort of "cultural" foods that I'm being asked about (Though personally speaking, I would just as soon have a really delicious county fairground corndog, dripping with grease, and some crunchy fresh onion rings to some of the haute cuisine we've encountered in our travels). So, si vous me demandez un example de cuisine americaine, don't be surprised if I look a bit confused and have to think for a while... especially since the inquiring person is thinking of something like gallettes avec fruits de mer and I am likely thinking of something like Chewy Sweet Tarts...
If any of our French or European friends ever get curious to try cooking some very "American" foods (and can translate recipes into metric), here are some good recipes:
Chili Cheese Dog
Chili Dog Chili
Pork Burritos
Cornbread
(Cornbread is essential. If one ever tries to cook Southern food, Ye will be Judged by thine cornbread)
And of course, plenty of other dishes I grew up with.

1 comment:
And to leave a comment on my own blog, I got such a craving writing all of that and looking up those southern food links that we ended up having fried cheese sticks, batter-fried onion rings, fried jalapeno peppers stuffed with cheese, cornbread, and chili laced with habanero sauce (thanks Paul!) for dinner tonight. I will now explode.
Post a Comment