Thought for the day: can you lift your spouse/significant other? Can your SO lift you? This question -- yes, it's bizarre at first glance, but bear with me -- arose during a conversation that Trev and I had several months ago. He had spent several hours in front of the computer and lay down on the floor to stretch out his back. I found him there and attempted to pull him across the floor, only to find that I could barely move him. This provoked laughter and the comment from Trev that he'd be in real trouble if the house were burning down and I had to get his unconscious body outside! Now, obviously, if the house were on fire, I would have been far more motivated to move him; I would have found a way to get him downstairs, though he might have had some interesting bruises after the fact. But this joking question did start me thinking both about the state of my own fitness and that of the world in general (particularly the US, since that's still my frame of reference and where all the frightening statistics about obesity seem to come from). Shortly thereafter, I began exercising again, choosing a schedule that suits the way we work, and we revamped our diet as well. I have made a few stabs at regular exercise since we've been here but the upheaval of the move and life in a new country has made it easy to sideline something I don't especially enjoy! As I gain strength and Trev loses weight, I hope that we will be closer to making ends meet in the question of whether or not I can get him out of a burning building; I hope that you, our loyal readers, will consider this for yourselves and take what actions you deem necessary. If looking better in your clothing (or out of it, for that matter) has never been sufficient motivation for you to start and maintain an exercise program, look at it as a safety issue: someday you may save the life of someone you love! Yes, it may not ever come to that -- and goodness knows, I hope not -- but I'll be happy if one person finds out that being fitter and stronger makes them feel darned good. And now, I'm off my soapbox and heading out to the workshop for a quick round of rope-jumping before I give Trev a mohawk......
Saturday, October 29, 2005
This Blog is on Fire
Thought for the day: can you lift your spouse/significant other? Can your SO lift you? This question -- yes, it's bizarre at first glance, but bear with me -- arose during a conversation that Trev and I had several months ago. He had spent several hours in front of the computer and lay down on the floor to stretch out his back. I found him there and attempted to pull him across the floor, only to find that I could barely move him. This provoked laughter and the comment from Trev that he'd be in real trouble if the house were burning down and I had to get his unconscious body outside! Now, obviously, if the house were on fire, I would have been far more motivated to move him; I would have found a way to get him downstairs, though he might have had some interesting bruises after the fact. But this joking question did start me thinking both about the state of my own fitness and that of the world in general (particularly the US, since that's still my frame of reference and where all the frightening statistics about obesity seem to come from). Shortly thereafter, I began exercising again, choosing a schedule that suits the way we work, and we revamped our diet as well. I have made a few stabs at regular exercise since we've been here but the upheaval of the move and life in a new country has made it easy to sideline something I don't especially enjoy! As I gain strength and Trev loses weight, I hope that we will be closer to making ends meet in the question of whether or not I can get him out of a burning building; I hope that you, our loyal readers, will consider this for yourselves and take what actions you deem necessary. If looking better in your clothing (or out of it, for that matter) has never been sufficient motivation for you to start and maintain an exercise program, look at it as a safety issue: someday you may save the life of someone you love! Yes, it may not ever come to that -- and goodness knows, I hope not -- but I'll be happy if one person finds out that being fitter and stronger makes them feel darned good. And now, I'm off my soapbox and heading out to the workshop for a quick round of rope-jumping before I give Trev a mohawk......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment