Sunday, October 09, 2005

Racing the tide at Pen-Be


Pen-Be is a weird landscape. As the name suggests, it is a huge flat plain of a bay that fills and empties regularly with the tides. We went out walking the cliffs at Pen-Be yesterday afternoon for about a hour. We got an entertaining surprise - we walked out via the cliff top and were going back by the beach, and the tide started coming in! The bay is so flat that even when it is full of water, you can walk across it (about 3/4 of a mile across the "ocean", with it never getting deeper than your waist). I haven't tried it (yet) but I would wager that, in the picure above, one could walk to the land on the opposite shore without ever having to swim. Because it is so flat, it fills up FAST when the tide comes in so we had to speed-walk to make the cliff stairway without getting our toes wet. But, it was fun. In the process I put together the final strings of a big creative project I have in mind that will combine artwork, writing, and pipemaking all in one. BTW, we are, for better or worse, going to write a book about our experiences moving here.
Oh, and the October movie of the day is the 1950's classic "Invaders from Mars", the story of what happens when alien invaders begin assimilating a small US town and the only person to realize what's happening is a ten year old boy, who of course no one believes.

No comments:

What I'm listening to now