A street scene from the river port of La Roche-Bernard, just up the road from us.Haven't posted here for a while, but I did want to share two great articles I found online concerning life in France:
In Paris, Burgers Turn Chic
This is for anyone who ever wondered what a 35 € hamburger might be like. To me, they sound pretty good! Some examples -“It’s not just a fad,” said Frédérick Grasser-Hermé, who, as consulting chef at the Champs-Élysées boîte Black Calvados, developed a burger made with wagyu beef and seasoned with what she calls a black ketchup of blackberries and black currants. “It’s more than that. The burger has become gastronomic.”
Yannick Alléno, who earned a third Michelin star in 2007 for his precise, rarefied cuisine at Le Meurice, serves a thick, succulent hamburger at his casual restaurant, Le Dali. Mr. Alléno’s baker, Frédéric Lalos, a winner of one of the country’s fiercest cooking competitions, makes the buns. With smoked bacon, lettuce, dill pickles, mustard, mayonnaise and fries, the burger at Le Dali costs 35 euros, about $56.
If I ever find myself in Paris, this place is on the list solely so I can check off "Ate a 35 € hamburger" as a life experience. And for something completely different, the other article of interest is-
France studies philosophy and sex on the beach
ONLY in France would you find an entire market of summertime beach books aimed at adults who want to refresh their school system education on Sartre. To quote-This year, there's a splashy new category of best-seller -- the phenomenon known as cahiers de vacances, or holiday revision guide. The idea is that, instead of wasting your beach time with Steven King or Marc Lévy (French pop novelist of the moment), you use it to bone up on Nietzsche, quadratic equations, molecular science or some other discipline.
Sounds lovely, but I get enough creative and philosophical challenge from my working craft on a daily basis. I'll be a bumpkin and stick with Carl Hiaasen, I expect...

No comments:
Post a Comment