- JRR Tolkein, The Hobbit
Somehow I doubt that this hole is quite so comfortable! I have no idea where this is - I've never been there, though it can't be too far from here, as our friends Beate & crew stopped by there on their vacation in Brittany. Still, I doubt our old house in the states will look quite so good after a couple thousand years...
But this has nothing to do with the title!
We saw this fellow on our way to the Marie-Gallant restaurant down in La Turballe. He's playing an instrument called a Veuze, or Breton bagpipe. These things are local to Brittany, along with the accompanying flute-type things, called Bombardes. I know nothing about either of them, apart from them being traditional instruments and also ungodly loud when they get going (though I don't believe they are as skull-splittingly insane as Scottish bagpipes at close range). B&M were even kind enough to shoot this little video for us, as I had forgotten our camera and left it at home.
That's about it for the moment, not much interesting to write about. Most of our time has been devoted to improving our money situation lately, so this summer is pretty much a write-off already as far as fun activities go... Besides, we do our best not to leave the house in August, when the beaches are infested with tourists. September, however, should be very nice indeed...

4 comments:
Is it the isle de gavrinis in the golfe de morbihan?
Good guess! You're scarily well-traveled en Bretagne.....
Hi Trev,
actually this is the "Tumulus de Dissignac" (near St. Nazaire) on the road to St. Marc.
You get a nice satellite view via www.mappy.fr > in "Plan" enter "Route de Dissignac" an "Dissignac". Choose "voir photos aƩriennes" and then one step south (klick on the down triangle) and then he's smiling at you.
Michael (from Beate's crew)
Ack, I stand corrected! I'd thought it was Gavrinis. This is the only problem with using your pics on the blog - I can never remember which ones came from where.
Post a Comment