Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Cheese, Gromit!

An appropriately cheesy pic (from the Utopiales gallery of goofy old movie posters) to accompany a quick post. We got a strange letter in the mail today from an artisan cheesemaker who is retiring and selling his shop and workshop in the seaside town of La Turballe, about fifteen minutes' drive from here. WHY he sent this to us, I can only guess - Most likely, he's heard of us as "more of those rich foreigners who like to come in and buy little quaint French businesses" and thought we'd know someone who might be interested. I figured, what the hell, I'd post the notice on my blog, so if anyone out there has ever wanted to buy a house/workshop/retail shop combo in a beautiful seaside Breton town, to spend your days making cheese, get in touch and I'll connect you.

Weird...

The only other bit of news is that our article came out this month in Brit Mag. I'll cross my fingers and hope this does not generate the usual annoying flood of touristy-curious type calls and inquiries that these things usually do.

3 comments:

Pam said...

Interesting that you have included a link to the article...I wonder why you agreed to the interview for the magazine if you are apparently so opposed to the response it may bring you?

I guess I see it as free advertising!

Cheers!

TreverT said...

Basically, I didn't want to be rude. Trying to explain why I wasn't interested would have been more difficult, and required more tact, than my French is up to, besides. Better to just get it over with quickly and hope not much comes of it. The reason is, while it is free advertising, it isn't advertising that will hit any market I need - my business is targeted exclusively at collectors of very high-grade handmade pipes, who are about as common as haute couture buyers. Even if I'm very lucky, I'd guess that in today's market, maybe 1 out of 100 of their readers might be a pipe smoker, and then only 1 out of about 300+ is a serious buyer & collector of high grade pipes. So, at best, maaaaybe the article might expose me to one potential actual customer. Unfortunately, what it also exposes me to are all the people who just think it's an oh-so-fascinating craft, and like to write asking random questions about what we do and how we do it... This is nice and all, and I try not to be rude to people, but at the end of the day it is unpaid work. It's pipe-related working time that isn't going into producing any money. I hope that explains a bit better!

Pam said...

Yes, I understand.

What I'm listening to now